An injunction against harassment is a kind of protective order that can be issued in Arizona. If you’ve been issued with an injunction against harassment, knowing what you are dealing with is the first step to get things fixed.
Overview of an Injunction Against Harassment
An injunction against harassment, also known as IAH, is a civil order issued by the court. While the civil order can be issued against individuals such as friends, neighbors, employers, or acquaintances, it is not meant to be used against someone who is related to you or who you are intimate with. In order to issue an injunction against harassment, the individual must claim that you are harassing them.
For the purpose of the order, harassment constitutes a series of acts that:
- Seriously causes alarm, annoys, or harasses another person.
- Is directed at a specific individual
- Is without reason or purpose.
Attaining an injunction against harassment is not a challenging process, but fighting one can be. However with the right Phoenix criminal defense attorney, you can have it dismissed or modified . Below are the three criteria that must be met for the injunction to be issued without giving notice to the defendant:
- There must be reasonable evidence of harassment within the year leading up to the petition filing
- There must be good cause to believe that permanent or severe harm will occur without the injunction
- They must verify with the court that you attempted to give notice to the defendant regarding the injunction or that there are concrete reasons as to why notice should be denied
Those who fail to meet the above three criteria still have the option to attain an injunction, but only after giving the defendant notice and scheduling a hearing. The right attorney can help you prove to the courts that there is no basis for an injunction to be filed against you. Don’t let your reputation be tarnished.
Tyler Allen Law Firm
Choosing the right attorney for counsel and representation is crucial in ensuring that your rights are heard and protected. The Tyler Allen Law Firm is a well-regarded criminal defense firm in Phoenix, Arizona. Contact us today at (602) 456-0545.